Miscellaneous References for the HARTAS ONS.
Over the years the HARTAS surname has popped up in all sorts of places.
Here are descriptions and links to many of them:
Unhistoric Acts is a history book covering the lives and actions of several Quaker families in Yorkshire in the 18th and 19th centuries. Several of these families has the surname of HARTAS and their exploits and family trees are documented within this book.
The book Unhistoric Acts was written by George BAKER and published in 1906 by Hedley Brothers.
You may be lucky enough to find an old copy of this book if you enjoy searching around second-hand
book stores, but an alternative is to buy a digitised copy through the Ryedale Family History Group :
Unhistoric Acts on CD
The quality of the scans on the CD is far higher than the scans listed below.
At the end of the book there are several pages of family tree and a full chapter about Crag House which was home to one HARTAS family. The family trees basically form a large extended family, so are shown here, even though they do not all reference the HARTAS name.
Click on the thumbnail images to see the full scanned page.
- Anthony and Mary THISTLETHWAITE and their children. Other surnames are: HEDLEY, HAINES, WEAVER, RANSOME and PACKARD.
- George and Rose HARTAS and their children. Other surnames are: HALL, BAKER, HARKER and PEACOCK.
- George and Sarah BAKER and their children. Other surnames are: CARTER, GILBERT, TAYLOR, PICKARD, BURTT, MORRIS and THOMPSON.
- Hartas and Rebecca HEDLEY. Other surnames are: POPE, PARK and BONSALL.
- Ancestors of James and Sarah HEDLEY (née HARTAS). Other surnames are: WARD, LANGDALE, SEVERS, ROBSON, STEAD, MYERS, TUKE, ROUTH, GUDGEON, PROCTER, RIGG, COOPER, PEARSON, HODGSON, CARTER, SIMPSON, DUNN, CONING, THISTLETHWAITE and BOWRON. This chart also shows how the other trees relate to this one.
- John and Mary BAKER and their children. Other surnames are UNTHANK, HALL, MERRYWEATHER and PEARSON
- Ancestors of John and Mary BAKER (née PILMOOR). Other surnames are: FOSTER, LAZENBY, FLETCHER, ALLEN, DUNNING, SNOWDON, SMITH, STEAD, MILBURN, PEIRSON, CLARKE, PILMOOR, HANCOCK, PEARSON, VENTRESS, ELLIS and BARKER
- John and Mary FLETCHER. Other surnames are: BAKER, PILMOOR, JACKSON, THURNAM, HINDMARSH, BRECKON, PRISICK and DEWHIRST
- Joseph and Ann BOWRON. Other surnames are: WILSON, MACDERMID, BRIGGS, PROCTER, ALLISON, FIRBY
- William and Mary BAKER & William BAKER and Sarah. Other surnames are: PILMOOR, HARTAS, MUMFORD< HILLS, JEMSON, SCOTT, BENSON
Crag House - home to William and Mary HARTAS, built in 1770.
- Unhistoric Acts, Chapter VIII. Crag House. Page 158 & 159
- Unhistoric Acts, Chapter VIII. Crag House. Page 160
- Unhistoric Acts, Chapter VIII. Crag House. Page 161
- Unhistoric Acts, Chapter VIII. Crag House. Page 162 & 163
- Unhistoric Acts, Chapter VIII. Crag House. Page 164 & 165
- Unhistoric Acts, Chapter VIII. Crag House. Page 166
- Unhistoric Acts, Chapter VIII. Crag House. Page 167
- Unhistoric Acts, Chapter VIII. Crag House. Page 168
|More Miscellaneous references|
|North Riding family plans navigation tolls 1725 [MIC 2167] Hartas family papers 1767-1836; Crosland family papers 1726-1846 Miscellaneous wills 1712-1837 & papers 1617-1783 [MIC 2167-8] Plan of Sinnington, east side of river n.d. [MIC Held by: North Yorkshire County Record Office Date: 1573 - 1893 Reference: ZJA|
From Ian Bloor:
Whilst looking for Blo(o)r(e)s in Blackfordby Churchyard - as one does - I came across:-
In loving memory of MARY HARTAS the beloved wife of William Jackson of Gascoigne, Skeeby, Richmond, Yorks Born March 22 1852 Died January 3 1929 also of the above named WILLIAM JACKSON Born November 30 1848 Died May 8 1930